Apr 14, 2012

Fleisch ist mein Gemüse - Braunschweig - 09.04.12

For 6 Euros a ticket, I have to admit, it wasn't that bad. But for my first play/musical in Germany, it could have been better. It was hard to distinguish when scenes changed, it was a tad too long (a whopping 3 hours long), it could have been way funnier... Overall though, I was glad for the arts and culture fix. It had been much too long since I had seen a live show.

tiff1 tiff2

I haven't yet read the original Fleisch ist mein Gemüse novel, of which this play/musical is based on. Written in 2004 by Heinz Strunk, the novel tells the story of a young, struggling musician. Set in the 80s, this young musician (whose name is also Heinz Strunk) experiences the trials and tribulations of joining a band called Tiffany's while dealing with a mentally ill mother. Tiffany's performs German and international hits from the 70s and 80s, which explains the YouTube vids below.




For the non-German speaking ones, "Fleisch ist mein Gemüse" roughly translates to "Meat are my vegetables" in English. Though I can't see a connection between the title of the play and the play itself, the title still intrigues me for the mere fact that it's food-related. And because I can't help but reminisce on my pescetarian days.

No comments:

Post a Comment