Aug 7, 2012

Mom's Chicken Adobo Recipe

Making adobo was easier than I thought! The second time around turned out very similar to the first time, even though this time around, the major difference was that I marinated the chicken for a few hours. As well, this time I added potatoes. Interested in taking a stab at it? Here's the ingredient list:

3 chicken thighs
3 chicken drumsticks
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup dark soy sauce
3 dried bay leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp black peppercorns
salt + freshly ground pepper
5 medium potatoes, chopped



Directions

1. Fry the potatoes in 1 tbsp oil for 5 mins. Set aside.
2. Combine all the other ingredients in a large pot or pan.
3. Let the ingredients marinate for up to 24 hours in the fridge.
4. When ready to cook, add the slightly-fried potatoes to the pan.
5. Bring the pan to a boil, then after a few minutes, lower heat.
6. Cover and let simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. When the chicken is tender, remove the pan from heat.
8. Serve with steamed rice and diced tomatoes.



This is not really a "traditional" Filipino Adobo recipe. Instead, it is my Mom's recipe, which just so happens to include potatoes. Having said that, feel free to alter the recipe to your liking, omitting or including ingredients as you please. Another tip: I recommend marinating the chicken in its sour/salty bath overnight. Though Mom doesn't think this is necessary, I think it increases the flavour factor by leaps and bounds. If you choose to do this, however, then prepare the potatoes the next day as well.



What I love is that Adobo is so simple to make, and it takes so little prep time! You just gotta throw ingredients into a pot or pan and voila! Hm. It's funny... Filipino food has never been my favourite food of all time, but living abroad has made me miss it more and more. I guess because the very sight of it conjures up memories of home and familia. But on another note: Here's Giada Di Laurentiis's version of Adobo. She definitely wants to battle it out with me. I like her lime idea but sugar?!?!?*! C'mon naow!

No comments:

Post a Comment