Oct 19, 2012

Sachertorte-samplin' in Salzburg



My longing and lust to try The Original Sachertorte began a few years ago, when my dear friend Anh gave me a slice to try from a Sachertorte-style cake that she'd baked. I was intrigued by the flavours, and at the time, I hadn't been able to find the cake (of superior taste and quality, anyway) anywhere in Toronto. So you could only imagine my excitement when I was standing right in front of the place in Austria where the Sachertorte was supposedly invented! The story goes as follows...



A fellow named Franz Sacher created the cake back in somethin' like 1832, and eventually his son carried on the recipe. The cake was first officially served at the Hotel Sacher in Vienna. As such, Hotel Sacher claims to have "The Original Sachertorte," and since they have a location in Salzburg, I was lucky enough to try it! But ya know what? It really wasn't all that and a bag of chips. Yeah yeah yeah, chocolate cake with a layer of apricot jam and coated with dark chocolate icing - so what?! I've eaten homemade cakes that've tasted better! Textures were aiight but that icing really didn't tickle my fancy.

2 comments: